Sunday, February 14, 2010

Birdman calls time working with R. Kelly his worst investment


Cash Money CEO Birdman, also known as Baby, has made a lot of money in a lot of different places ... but he's best known for the wise decisions made in music.

However, if you ask him, there's a few places his Cash Money Records company is lacking and that's the R&B world.

While he's found a star in Jay Sean, Baby did have plans to do a joint album with R&B star R. Kelly. That never panned out, and according to the music mogul, it was a waste of time.

In a recent interview with Ozone Magazine, Birdman said working with Kellz was his worst investment.

"Probably the worst investment I did was f***in' with R. Kelly," he explained. "That was a waste of my time. I could've made money if I wasn't f***in' with that clown-a** n****."

In 2003, the pair were to record a Best Of Both Worlds 2 album, but it never saw the light of day.

Also in the interview, Birdman discusses his plans for expansion in music, his success in the oil biz, his flagship artist Lil Wayne, and the new crop of Cash Money artists next in line.

Here's a snippet:

You seem to find money no matter where it is, from the Lugz shoes, to videogames, to music...
I'm trying to buy some of the [Miami] Dolphins next.

How did you become so business savvy?
I was just born with that sh**, brah. When you have a business you need to know to budget, spend, and manage. I think those are the three hardest things to do in business. If you don't do those things, your business is gonna go under. I was just blessed to know how to do those things [as well as] hustle. Honestly, you gotta hustle and know how to flip money. And to flip money, you've got to always get new money. Niggas be trying to hold on to old money and they don't spend it, but you've gotta keep flipping that sh**.

I heard the tattoo on your head represents an oil rig. Is it true you're an aspiring oil tycoon?
I've been in the oil business about 4 or 5 years now. That's something me and my brother decided to do outside of music. I read about oil a lot and I was able to get in business. [My company] is called Browner Oil, and I'm making good money off that; that's something for my kids and my kids' kids. They can live off that money forever.

Not to get in your pockets too much, but I heard you've made over $100 million off oil.
I did a few different deals. That was just one of them. When you're dealing with oil, you buy in different areas. Right now I'm active; I got pumps and sh** that are getting money monthly. I like that oil sh**. I'm gonna put some more time into it.

Check out the full interview at OzoneMag.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment